COVID-19 Resources for Deaf, Hard of Hearing, & DeafBlind
The Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services and the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice collaboratively released this guidance on "Long COVID" as a Disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-providers/civil-rights-covid19/guidance-long-covid-disability/index.html
The COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Card is available for the public to download and print. Individuals may wish to print the COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Card and bring it to their vaccination site. The COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Card does not replace the requirement of federal and state laws for effective communication to Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and DeafBlind persons, such as sign language interpreters or other services.
The Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) is a state agency that is providing emergency rental assistance for those who can not pay their rent due to the COVID 19 pandemic under the Illinois Rental Payment Program. An ASL video is posted on their website to explain what this program is and how it may help you.
IDHHC has developed ASL videos of key guidance regarding COVID-19 based upon publications by the Illinois Department of Public Health. IDHHC will continue adding new videos as new information becomes available. Please keep in mind that information is rapidly changing. To ensure the most up to date announcements, please follow Governor JB Pritzker's daily press conference. IDHHC has collaborated with the Governor's office to inform the networks it is essential for the sign language interpreter and captioning are visible at all times. The press conferences are available on Governor JB Pritzker's Facebook page and also on the IL Department of Public Health website.
IDHHC has made available the below ASL videos. These videos are not closed captioned or have a separate transcript. The written English version of the information is available through either the IL Department of Public Health or IL Coronavirus website. IDHHC has provided these links to the written English version for your convenience.
Shelter in Place ASL Video - Shelter in Place IL_Coronavirus_website_Stay-At-Home_FAQS
FAQ About COVID-19 - ASL Video FAQ COVID-19 IDPH_Website_COVID-19_FAQ
The IL Department of Public Health has additional information related to COVID-19 on its website. This includes case numbers in Illinois related to COVID-19. Its printed publications (which were used as the source of information for the above ASL videos) are available by clicking here.
The Illinois Department on Aging has a webinar on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). PPE_Webinar_Transcript.docx PPE_Webinar_Transcript.pdf
Below is a list of additional resources on COVID-19 which you may find helpful. These resources are for informational purposes only and have not been created by IDHHC or the State of Illinois.
The Centers for Disease Control of Prevention has released an ASL Videos related to COVID-19. Click here.
- Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing has created a COVID-19 Card that can be used to help communicate in medical appointments during this pandemic: COVID-19 Communication Card
- Communication Services for the Deaf (CSD) is offering "ASL NOW COVID-19 Hotline" for anyone to call with questions about COVID-19.
- National Disability Institute (NDI) has a website called Financial Resilience Center/ Financial Health During COVID-19 to provide assistance and resources for people with disabilities who are impacted by COVID-19.
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD) has a Coronavirus page on their website. This page has a wealth of information and tools for the Deaf population to use during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Deaf in Scrubs answers questions about COVID-19 on The Daily Moth
- Mental Health Services for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf Blind and Late-Deafened Communities has resources listed on their website.
- Hearing Loss Tips during COVID19 by Dr. Laffan.pdf
- Great Plains ADA Center- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- Partners in Deaf Health, Inc on Facebook Watch
- Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses (AMPHL) - COVID-19 Resources for Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Equip for Equality - COVID-19 in the Workplace
- Connect-hear: Listing of clear masks and face shields